Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Widgets

Hello 2018

For the first time in a long time I didn't stay up to see the New Year in, but this week I have been regaining my energy and before John came home did a thorough cleaning of the main areas. I am going to try and keep it that way, and have been shining my sink all week, it feels good.

Marigolds

As I have to watch the UV level of the sun,  going out to the garden has to be early, usually around 7 am which gives me 2 hours to do something. I am pleased to say we have started on the big changes to the front vegetable garden. As I age I want to make the garden easier so we will be putting in raised beds.

Starting in this area first

This means a lot of work and we have to go slowly while we shift everything around. Most plants can come out and I will start again, some I am trying to save for their seeds.

Going to use the two tank beds our son made.

Christmas growth very messy

 I downloaded some graph paper first so I could see it laid out, by cutting out shapes etc. Hopefully I won't lose too much growing space.

Makes sense to me

I  feel it will be more compact growing and more organized,  as with an open garden there is no set area, and can be a bit vague planting things. I am very excited about it all, so will keep you up to date.

Doubling the height of the edging bricks

Pulling up from here where the tank beds will go.

I have also joined this month the Uber Frugal Monthly Challenge to see if I can save a bit better, both for the garden upgrade, also a planned caravan holiday, and everyday I get a reminder of how to be frugal or save. This is her site and the last challenge for a while, as she is due to have a baby.   Frugalwoods. 

In the meantime this week I dehydrated some mushrooms. Aldi had a special so grabbed 4 packets of their sliced mushrooms, placed on all 8 trays and sprayed  a weak lemon, so easy.




Ended up with 2 jars. Great for putting in crock pots along with dehydrated peas for soaking up liquid.


Next week I will either freeze 400grm blocks of tomatoes or maybe make some more spicy relish. Haven't decided yet.  Between the community garden and mine there are plenty of tomatoes.

Today in Australia for many, it has been an extremely hot day, up to 47C in Sydney, that is terrifying and I hope all of you are coping. We are fine and spent the afternoon in air conditioning.

Till next time.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.